Jehovah's Witness

Useful information for all tenants in UK. Tips, tricks and guides how to find the right new property that suits your needs. Rent Direct UK team and our members are ready to help you and all our members are free to post comments and articles on our new forum.

Jehovah's Witness

Postby Jenny Walker » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:11 pm

Why do these people come round knocking on peoples houses and start preaching to them? I had a good chat with one but could not believe some of the rubbish he was saying. Hopefully I managed to convert him back! lol What do you normally do pretend you are not in, shut the door, ask them to leave or chat to them?
Jenny Walker

Re: Jehovah's Witness

Postby Temperance » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:12 pm

They are required by Kingdom Hall to go door to door. They keep logs that are checked by The Elders.

I tell them I am not interested and close the door.
Temperance

Postby Jon Dill » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:12 pm

They don't come around very often, sometimes I just tell them I'm agnostic and being a witness wouldn't be my cup of tea and they're fine with it, one woman did get a bit snotty so I showed her a picture of my eldest who would be dead if it weren't for all the many transfusions and other medical interventions she's had. I said I would have done anything in my power to keep her alive and as that goes against what they believe in, their religion definitely isn't for me.
I've never been rude to them, it's not my way.
Jon Dill

Postby Talking drum » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:13 pm

I've only got shirty once when a lady was trying to leaflet when I had got the exact same leaflet through the previous day. She just wouldn't have it that I was refusing the leaflet. Only backed off when I showed her the other one that was still on the hallway shelf.

Quite honestly I recycle enough crap, they can keep theirs.

As ardwark says, it's a requirement of their faith.
Talking drum

Postby Fancy Me » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:14 pm

HAVE A black painted false nail at the ready and as they approach, call them provocatively under your nets with a seductive and sinful looking black nailed finger nail calling them towards you.

I did it once in my youth with a friend for the craic and they legged it.
Fancy Me

Postby Kate » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:14 pm

They recently asked a friend of mine is she thought she did the right thing by allowing her son to have a blood transfusion after a heart operation.

Cold un-feeling morons, as far as I'm concerned
Kate

Postby Fay Little » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:15 pm

They'll have their work cut out, trying to convert me.

I live in a 1st floor flat, and deal with all callers through my living room window.

How do you argue with a closed window, 14 feet in the air?
Fay Little

Postby Stewart Hanity » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Jenny Walker wrote:Why do these people come round knocking on peoples houses and start preaching to them? I had a good chat with one but could not believe some of the rubbish he was saying. Hopefully I managed to convert him back! lol What do you normally do pretend you are not in, shut the door, ask them to leave or chat to them?

A couple of middle-aged lady witnesses called on me last September, and I invited them in instead of chatting on the doorstep.

That was a mistake...

They've now been coming round every week. While I quite enjoy the chat, and talking about religion and the bible, I think they're expecting me to convert, while I can't really take the stuff seriously.

But I'm not sure why they need to preach at all: according to them, only 144000 humans will make it to Heaven, and there are about 7 million witnesses.

Pretty much everyone else, of whatever religion, will be resurrected on Earth at some point, including (and I asked) Hitler! Such people will be allowed 1000 years on a paradise Earth to prove themselves worthy.

That sounds pretty good. It also sounds like they've talked themselves out of a job (if I understood correctly
Stewart Hanity

Postby Jeff Sicombe » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:17 pm

I answer the door naked that gets them every time

Either that or when they ask "have you ever thought about god?"

I always say "No I'm a devil worshipper however do you have any virgins for me to sacrifice?
Jeff Sicombe

Return to Tenant News