Flat Renting- What Questions to ask?

Useful information for all tenants in UK. Tips, tricks and guides how to find the right new property that suits your needs. Rent Direct UK team and our members are ready to help you and all our members are free to post comments and articles on our new forum.

Postby Debbie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:18 am

Debbie

Re: Flat Renting- What Questions to ask?

Postby Amber » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:29 am

What kind of heating is there? I moved into a house and i had to put the imersion on to heat the water, there was no shower. I had to wake up an hour early each day, run down and put the water on, go back to bed (i like my sleep) and then run down to get a bath each morning. Horrible.
and council tax band? it is a major influence on your bills.
What kind of cooker? I prefer gas.
Can you have pets? I have a dog.
Where does the rubbish go?
Can i decorate and get the money back off you?
Amber

Postby Faye S » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:31 am

Check the water pressure before signing the contract.

Check you have access to your hot water heater. I don’t have access to mine (it’s in a locked room) which means I have no control over my hot water.

Ask when they expect the next rent increase – too many landlords raise the rent after the initial term.
Faye S

Postby Kevin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:32 am

Are there any problems with neighbours?
Which bills are included in the rent (if any)?
If you have to pay the council tax / water rate, who do you pay it to and can you be sure you'll only pay it for the relevant part of the year that you move in/out?
If there's a garden, is it communal or private and who is responsible for its upkeep?
Kevin

Return to Tenant News